Thursday, April 19

Cat Yellow

So I got tired of looking at the teal paint job on my singlespeed (and everyone else was getting/making shiny new bikes) so I decided I needed a new little project. After a couple of nights of disassembly, sanding and painting, my old bike was looking shiny and new again.
Post-mountain bike view (aka singlespeed Gen. 1). Sadly note the need for a Surly Singleator.



Gen. 2. I didn't keep the old Mag 21 shock long, opting for a Surly rigid fork.



The sanded down frame. I considered stripper, but really am not a big fan of the nasty chemicals. The decals were troublesome, because they gummed up the sandpaper, and I couldn't get them smooth enough to just paint over. But the long blade of a cheap box cutter made short work of them.


A nice coat of primer.


The money shot. I couldn't decide what color to paint it until I went to the local hardware store and found a can of Krylon Farm and Implement Cat Yellow. Perfect.



5 Comments:

Blogger ew said...

Sweet! So, what is the magic ratio! Did you end up with the 17t or 18t?

Friday, 20 April, 2007  
Blogger benj said...

That's a great project! I like the yellow frame with black fork look. Does that frame require the old U-brake? I'll be sending my brother this link for sure (he's the one with my old GT).

Friday, 20 April, 2007  
Blogger jsn said...

Brain, allow me to comment....

That bike is fortunate enought o have canti mounts, but they are set up exclusively for Cantilevers in that there is no rear cable stop, just a series of guides fo rthe inner wire. Fortunately the guide that is located where the rear cable stop would be can be made to work as a cable stop. It would be idea to drill it out a bit to allow a cable barrel to seat nicely, but I'm not sure we could get a drill in there.

Friday, 20 April, 2007  
Blogger bw said...

Unfortunately I haven't found the magic ratio - yet. I am pretty sure I can make it work with some minor dropout mods, but I want to settle in on a happy ratio for riding first. I have been pretty happy with the 32:16, but for most of the climbing around here, something a little lower might be nicer. Updates will follow.

Friday, 20 April, 2007  
Blogger jim g said...

Problem Solvers make clamp-on cable-housing stops to convert stopless bikes to v-brakes. E.g.,http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=BR5454

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home