Sunday, July 2

nexus inter-8

I have really been enjoying my Shimano Nexus 8 internal gear hub on my commuter. Oh wait - have I posted a photo of my commuter? I guess not. Here are a couple:

It's an Austrian made Austro-Daimelr frame from the thrift store, set up with flat bars and the majestic Shimano Nexus inter-8. This hub rocks. No chain slap, shifts while stopped, not too heavy, and maintenance-proof. My only beef in that the shifter is kinda plastic-ey. Oh well.

Anyway, I was curious how the internal 8 compared to a derailleur setup. I hopped over to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to see. For comaprison I used my fully-geared mountain bike. The internal 8, with a 32 tooth chainring and a 21 tooth cog, gives you a gear range equivalent to having a 22/30 tooth granny gear and a 32/13 on the top end. Basically it is like having a mountian bike with no big ring. I don't know about the rest of you, but my big ring only gets used for powering down paved hills. I think I could live without it.

The basis of this whole idea is to maybe build myself a 29er mountian bike with an internal gear hub. That would rock. Of course, durability would be the main issue. We shall see hoe the 8 speed holds up.

6 Comments:

Blogger CliftNorris said...

I also recently built up a commuter bike using the Shimano 8 speed hub! I agree with you, this is really a cool device. I used a Surly 1x1 frame, RhinoLite rims and Continental Town+Country (26x2.1) tires. I think my commute is a little more off-road than yours, judging from the pictures of your bike.

-Clift Norris
Houston,TX

Sunday, 16 July, 2006  
Blogger ew said...

I am very curious to see how this hub holds up in the long run- espesially with off road use. Keep us informed!

Tuesday, 18 July, 2006  
Blogger Graeme Stevenson said...

Do either of you Gentlemen know where I can get a shimano nexus 8 speed hub with coaster brake.

The reason I want this particular model is that I want to use it to power my front wheel drive cruzbike, refer to www.cruzbike.com and with coaster brake I could do away with a brake lever.

As I live in New Zealand there is no local distributor for shimano that can source one for me.

Any help you can provide with this would be much appreciated.

Maybe you could drop me a line to graeme.stevenson@paradise.net.nz

Thank you and PS the MTB with the 8 speed looks fairly sleek.

Graeme Stevenson

Saturday, 16 September, 2006  
Blogger Craigybabe said...

Hi
I have a Halfords carera nexus8 bike (large uk co) and have had a great time with this hub for commuting, towing kids and a bit of off-road tracks. On the reliability front, I have had problems with rusting of the 26 ball raceway and the outer ring of rolers. I gues water got in.

Anyway, to get to this first level of dissembly isnt too much of an issue and I have replaced the pitted balls and all is again seetnes! I have recently had an issue however when riding thru a crevace edged pot-hole: it turned out that 4 balls (next to each other) were forced out of the 26 ball cage/raceway! I found the displaced balls and put the 4 back and all seemed ok again.

Wednesday, 27 September, 2006  
Blogger Dean Schneider said...

D: perhaps in combination with a Schlumph MountainDrive?

http://waterloo-bicycle-blog.blogspot.com/
http://unorthodox-recumbent-bicycles.blogspot.com/

Monday, 04 August, 2008  
Blogger yusuf said...

thankss


Forex Training

منتديات غربة رووح

دليل غربة رووح - اضف موقعك

منتديات تداول الهوامير



منتديات عجايز كوول

دليل تداول الهوامير - اضف موقعك

منتديات أمل قطامي

Forums best secured loans



دليل امل قطامي - اضف موقعك

Wednesday, 26 January, 2011  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home