Sunday, July 2

nexus inter-8

I have really been enjoying my Shimano Nexus 8 internal gear hub on my commuter. Oh wait - have I posted a photo of my commuter? I guess not. Here are a couple:

It's an Austrian made Austro-Daimelr frame from the thrift store, set up with flat bars and the majestic Shimano Nexus inter-8. This hub rocks. No chain slap, shifts while stopped, not too heavy, and maintenance-proof. My only beef in that the shifter is kinda plastic-ey. Oh well.

Anyway, I was curious how the internal 8 compared to a derailleur setup. I hopped over to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to see. For comaprison I used my fully-geared mountain bike. The internal 8, with a 32 tooth chainring and a 21 tooth cog, gives you a gear range equivalent to having a 22/30 tooth granny gear and a 32/13 on the top end. Basically it is like having a mountian bike with no big ring. I don't know about the rest of you, but my big ring only gets used for powering down paved hills. I think I could live without it.

The basis of this whole idea is to maybe build myself a 29er mountian bike with an internal gear hub. That would rock. Of course, durability would be the main issue. We shall see hoe the 8 speed holds up.

3 Comments:

Blogger ew said...

I am very curious to see how this hub holds up in the long run- espesially with off road use. Keep us informed!

Tuesday, 18 July, 2006  
Blogger Craigybabe said...

Hi
I have a Halfords carera nexus8 bike (large uk co) and have had a great time with this hub for commuting, towing kids and a bit of off-road tracks. On the reliability front, I have had problems with rusting of the 26 ball raceway and the outer ring of rolers. I gues water got in.

Anyway, to get to this first level of dissembly isnt too much of an issue and I have replaced the pitted balls and all is again seetnes! I have recently had an issue however when riding thru a crevace edged pot-hole: it turned out that 4 balls (next to each other) were forced out of the 26 ball cage/raceway! I found the displaced balls and put the 4 back and all seemed ok again.

Wednesday, 27 September, 2006  
Blogger Dino Snider said...

D: perhaps in combination with a Schlumph MountainDrive?

http://waterloo-bicycle-blog.blogspot.com/
http://unorthodox-recumbent-bicycles.blogspot.com/

Monday, 04 August, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home