So I got tired of looking at the teal paint job on my singlespeed (and everyone else was getting/making shiny new bikes) so I decided I needed a new little project. After a couple of nights of disassembly, sanding and painting, my old bike was looking shiny and new again.
Post-mountain bike view (aka singlespeed Gen. 1). Sadly note the need for a Surly Singleator.
Gen. 2. I didn't keep the old Mag 21 shock long, opting for a Surly rigid fork.
The sanded down frame. I considered stripper, but really am not a big fan of the nasty chemicals. The decals were troublesome, because they gummed up the sandpaper, and I couldn't get them smooth enough to just paint over. But the long blade of a cheap box cutter made short work of them.
A nice coat of primer.
The money shot. I couldn't decide what color to paint it until I went to the local hardware store and found a can of Krylon Farm and Implement Cat Yellow. Perfect.